Current Postings at Red Seal Financial Ltd.
ROLE: ASSISTANT CONTROLLER
We are hiring for the role of Assistant Controller. The successful candidate will work under a senior controller in an apprenticeship-style format to learn the ins and outs of operational accounting. We offer operational accounting support to clients who are small to midsized firms in need of increased financial management expertise, but who are not large enough to afford a full-time controller.
We become part of our clients’ team and help them implement systems & processes that bring efficiencies and unlock the potential in their financial data. We then use this data to provide advice, inform decisions, and focus investment on growth opportunities.
The role will involve working with a portfolio of clients in a range of industries. We use the most modern technologies from cloud-based accounting tools that incorporate machine learning, to best-in-class collaboration tools, to unified telecommunications and remote work technology that lets you perform from anywhere. We love technology and use it to its fullest potential, in part because it makes us effective, and in part because it enables us to bring better back-office processes & tools to our clients as true experts.
- BComm or equivalent with an accounting major or minor.
- Strong communication skills. You must be willing to ask questions, lots of them. You must be able to handle conflict effectively. You must be willing to pick up the phone and get answers.
- Ninja-like MS Excel skills: Despite all the amazing tools available to us, Excel is still a foundational tool in accounting.
- An understanding of relational databases. Debits and credits are just records in a table. If you understand accounting from a database perspective, you will be an awesome accountant.
- Willingness to pursue an accounting designation (funding is available). Learning is a lifelong expectation. If you’re not constantly pursuing growth, you will get left behind.
- Strong Ethics. We work with other people’s sensitive information; confidentiality, integrity and trustworthiness are an absolute must.
- Self-starter attitude – Must be eager to learn and step in and help wherever capable. The unofficial job description for a controller is “everything that doesn’t fall within any other manager’s job description… And some accounting stuff.”
- Operational accounting duties include: bank reconciliations, AP management, AR management, transaction posting, payroll, CRA compliance, month-end reporting to shareholders, variance analysis, identifying financial risks and implementing internal controls to mitigate those risks.
- Communication duties include: manage relationships with external providers such as bankers, insurance brokers, external accounting firms, key customer and supplier contacts, employee support for HR/payroll related matters.
- Technology duties include: manage multiple email accounts, implement new information management systems for clients, coordinate projects using project management software, provide back-office technology advice to business owners, coach and mentor clients and their staff into a 21st century way of doing business.
We are looking for a recent graduate out of a BComm program with a major in accounting. Other business majors would be considered if the applicant has an accounting minor and a strong interest in pursuing an accounting designation.
Please send applications along with a covering letter detailing your interest in the role to: Attn: David Lord at email@example.com.