Current Postings at Red Seal Financial Ltd.
ROLE: JUNIOR CONTROLLER
This position is appropriate for a recently designated CPA with 3 to 6 years of work experience who:
- is looking to leave public practice for industry; or
- is an industry CPA looking to make a move into a more senior role.
Please submit a resume AND a cover letter with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org . Be prepared to provide examples of how you align with our core values.
Red Seal is a full-service financial advisory firm.
We work with individuals to help them identify gaps in their financial, risk management & estate plans, and help them to fill those gaps. We work with businesses to do the same by providing ongoing accounting and financial oversight until they are able to resource this function themselves. We view ourselves as more than simply advisors. We become genuine members of the team. Our ‘can do’ attitude and willingness to step in and help where we have expertise to share ensures our clients get further in achieving their goals.
Where our clients who own businesses are concerned, we understand they are in a unique position to have it all -- all the upside and all the risk. Owners wear many hats and benefit from ongoing coaching to create their own financial security. We are sensitive to this and take a holistic approach to working with both companies and their owners. We strive to ensure the value created by businesses carry over to owners and partners as much as possible. This belief is why we offer complete solutions and plans rather than baseline services.
We exist to amplify the value creation activities of entrepreneurs, their teams and the organizations they build. We do this by reducing administrative friction through the use of technology, by developing processes that can be delegated to those best suited to administer them, and by organizing & analyzing financial data to drive insights that inform good decision making.
We will change the future of accounting by creating a new way for professionals to work, a new way for businesses to access financial expertise, and by changing the way the world understands the profession: As adding value, not reallocating it.
We are hiring for the role of Junior Controller. The successful candidate will work under a Senior Controller in an apprenticeship-style format to learn the ins and outs of operational accounting. We offer operational accounting support to clients who are midsized firms in need of increased financial management expertise, but who are not large enough to afford a full-time controller.
We become part of our clients’ team and help them implement systems & processes that bring efficiencies and unlock the potential in their financial data. We then use this data to provide advice, inform decisions, and focus investment on growth opportunities.
The role will involve working with a portfolio of clients in a range of industries. We use the most modern technologies from cloud-based accounting tools that incorporate machine learning, to best-in-class collaboration tools, to unified telecommunications and remote work technology that let you perform from anywhere. We love technology and use it to its fullest potential, in part because it makes us effective, and in part because it enables us to bring better back-office processes & tools to our clients as true experts. (Plus, it's just cool...)
We are Red Seal and these are the values we live by. We…
Leave it better than we found it. Perfection is the enemy of done, but there is always room for improvement. We owe it to our teammates and our clients to leave things in an state that supports their success. And we owe it to ourselves to be proud of the legacy we leave behind.
Succeed together. Success together is always more rewarding than alone. Great things are never accomplished by one person, and to be part of something great is to be part of a team. Enjoy and celebrate being a team player.
Apply curiosity. Being curious, and applying that state of being in all that we do will lead to better outcomes. We may fail and go backwards along the way, but the constant drive to learn and apply that knowledge will inevitably result in forward progress.
Earn respect. Respect endures. Likes are fickle. It is better to be respected than liked. You can dislike someone you respect. You can't like someone you disrespect. Focus on earning respect and being liked will follow.
Own the outcome. Focus on the outcome, not the process. Are you checking off boxes simply to follow a process, or are you working towards an outcome? Outcomes count. Activities and tasks are simply what you do to achieve outcomes.
Add value to the world. Reallocating value is linear. Adding value compounds. By focusing on activities that add value, we can continually grow our positive impact on the world and make tomorrow better.
- BComm or equivalent with an accounting major or minor.
- A CPA Designation or equivalent.
- Strong communication skills. You must be willing to ask questions, lots of them. You must be able to handle conflict effectively. You must be willing to pick up the phone and get answers.
- Ninja-like MS Excel skills: Despite all the amazing tools available to us, Excel is still a foundational tool in accounting.
- An understanding of relational databases. Debits and credits are just records in a table. If you understand accounting from a database perspective, you will be an awesome accountant.
- Constant upgrading. Learning is a lifelong expectation. If you’re not constantly pursuing growth, you will get left behind.
- Strong Ethics. We work with other people’s sensitive information; confidentiality, integrity and trustworthiness are an absolute must.
- Self-starter attitude – Must be eager to learn and step in and help wherever capable. The unofficial job description for a controller is “everything that doesn’t fall within any other manager’s job description… And some accounting stuff.”
- Operational accounting duties include: bank reconciliations, AP management, AR management, transaction posting, payroll, CRA compliance, month-end reporting to shareholders, variance analysis, identifying financial risks and implementing internal controls to mitigate those risks.
- Communication duties include: manage relationships with external providers such as bankers, insurance brokers, external accounting firms, key customer and supplier contacts, employee support for HR/payroll related matters.
- Technology duties include: manage multiple email accounts, implement new information management systems for clients, coordinate projects using project management software, provide back-office technology advice to business owners, coach and mentor clients and their staff into a 21st century way of doing business.
- Leadership duties include: provide guidance to CPA students, review output from direct reports for quality control, advise clients on key strategic matters, contribute towards internal operations, participate in business development activities.
We are looking for a recently designated CPA looking to take the next step in their career. Please include both a resume AND a cover letter in your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00-$100,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Commuter benefits
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Please send applications along with a covering letter detailing your interest in the role to: Attn: David Lord at email@example.com.